Dating a Finnish woman has the potential to change your life. It may be the starting point of a happy adventure.
I’m excited to tell you that a relationship with a Finnish lady is golden. That’s because Finnish women are loving, fun to be with and down-to-earth.
Näytä tämä julkaisu Instagramissa.
Here’s what I’m going to cover in this post.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Get Started with Dating a Finnish Woman
- 2 What’s it Like Dating Finnish Women
- 3 Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Dating a Finnish Woman
- 4 Six Quick Tips When You are Starting a Relationship with a Finnish Woman
- 5 The One Thing You Should Know when Being in a Relationship with a Finnish woman
- 6 Long-Distance Dating with a Finnish woman
How to Get Started with Dating a Finnish Woman
First things first, I do hope you are planning to date only one Finnish woman. Finnish people don’t understand the concept of dating several people at the same time.
When she finds out that you are having a carousel of women, she will delete your contact details immediately from her phone. That being said, let’s continue.
So, how to approach a Finnish woman? Honestly, there is no wrong way. Whether you find her on the internet, social media, or local bar, just remember to let your personality shine through.
Be honest and be real. Finns don’t care for any fluff.
What’s it Like Dating Finnish Women
In general, Finnish women aren’t into playing games. If your sweetheart is hard to read, that’s because she doesn’t want to get her heart broken not because she is playing hard to get.
Finnish women are outspoken in practical matters. However, sometimes Finnish women have difficulties saying how they feel. In Finnish culture, that kind of communication has a much smaller role than in many other countries.
There’s an old Finnish saying: “Kell’ onni on, se onnen kätkeköön.” A rough translation would be: “If you are happy, hide it within yourself.”
Basically, this means that happiness is not something you should boast about or show off. I know it sounds totally weird but this is true to some extent also in modern Finnish society.
All in all, I’d say the most important thing to know are the cultural norms your Finnish woman has been raised in.
When you are starting to get to know each other, ask about them! If you don’t share common values about being in a relationship, what’s the point of dating?
Here are some things to consider:
- In a Finn-Finn relationship, it is super normal that both spouses do housework. Both can cook, clean and do laundry.
- In Finland, it’s not a problem if the woman makes more money than her partner.
- In a relationship, many Finnish women show their love by doing.
- If there are kids, a Finnish woman appreciates it if her spouse takes time off from work to be with the baby. There’s also a compensation system in Finland to do this.
Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Dating a Finnish Woman
A fellow content creator Aleksi and I made a helpful video about our experiences.
When it comes to YouTube, he is an incredibly awesome and hilarious source of all things Finnish, you can subscribe to Aleksi’s videos here.
Check our video below to know the ten mistakes that you should avoid when dating a Finnish girl.
Six Quick Tips When You are Starting a Relationship with a Finnish Woman
Here are the best quick tips when you are starting a relationship with a Finnish woman.
- Accept long silent pauses in your interaction. It’s okay to be quiet together! You don’t need to talk to avoid silence.
- Remember to provide a feeling of equality to the relationship. Finland is a country of gender equality.
- Don’t ever try to take a picture of her unless she is in the mood of being photographed. How to spot that right mental state, you may ask? When she is taking selfies, for example.
- Romantic gestures are appreciated (even though it may feel like the reaction is invisible).
- Don’t play games.
- A stereotype is no real person. Each Finnish woman is unique and so are you!
The One Thing You Should Know when Being in a Relationship with a Finnish woman
Okay, so this last point is for those of you who are already in a relationship with a Finnish woman.
What should you do, when you get the infamous “Do I look fat in this dress/these jeans etc.?”
This question always comes when you are just about to go somewhere together. You don’t want to ruin your evening. So, your answer must start immediately and without any hesitation.
First, step into the situation with a sentence of distraction: “Honey, I forgot to say earlier that your hair looks lovely like that… / I am so looking forward to our night out; it’s been such a long time…”
Practice your body language and tone of voice to sound genuine (which you are of course). In many cases, the discussion will flow to other topics.
If not, the right answer to the original question is no and always no. Make several sentences of reassuring answers all pointing to no. Your sweetie is feeling insecure, why enforce that feeling?
Let’s consider a situation in which you were silent, hesitated or answered “Yes. / Please don’t ask me that. / [insert any dumb phrase here]”. Wrong move.
The odds are that you will have a miserable night and your sweetheart will mope.
If there is some ‘body improvement’ to be made, you guys have plenty of time to talk about healthy eating and exercise some other time and make it a team effort. Simple, right?
Long-Distance Dating with a Finnish woman
Even if you are not together physically for a portion of your relationship, most of these tips will still apply to dating a Finnish woman. Long-distance relationships are hard, and often need a tiny spark to keep it alive.
My friend Jasmin has created incredible virtual date night packages to help couples in long distant relationships. I have been in a long-distance relationship in the past and a solution like this would have worked wonders for us.
Keep in mind that when you suggest this to your Finnish partner that, culturally, they may not be accustomed to a scheduled or creative date. Encourage them to keep an open mind and enjoy a new type of romance during your virtual date night.
Looking for more information about Finnish culture and dating Finns? Check my other posts: