1) When a Finn actually, finally, says something romantic, you can be pretty darn sure she/he actually means it. All words are 100% real, no fluff. Don’t they say ”quality over quantity”, huh?
2) For such quiet people, we Finns are surprising innovative when it comes to giving affectionate nicknames for our loved ones.
Usually in Finland, pet names (hellittelynimi, in Finnish) are used in private. It’s a cute inside thing between you and your sweetheart. Children are called by their nicknames publicly.
Näytä tämä julkaisu Instagramissa.
Looking for more information about the Finnish language and culture?
Check out some of my other posts:
- Famous Finnish Sayings about Life
- Quick Guide to Finnish – The Basics & Free Resources
- 30 Cultural Facts on Finland that Help You Understand Finns
- Easy Rules to Finnish Small Talk
Okay, but now, get ready to learn twenty adorable Finnish nicknames and surprise your sweetie with a Finnish nickname or two!
5 Most Common Finnish Nicknames
The title in Finnish: Viisi yleisintä suomalaista hellittelynimeä
#1 Kulta or Kultsi = Gold. Literally. Kultsi feels a bit more relaxed than kulta.
#2 Rakas = Dear. In Finnish, to love is rakastaa, this word comes from it.
#3 Hani = Honey. Comes from English.
#4 Muru = Crumb. Literally.
#5 Pupu = Bunny. Literally.
10 Sweet and Funny Finnish Nicknames
The title in Finnish: Kymmenen
#1 Aarre = Treasure. Literally.
#2 Mussu or
#3 Pulu = City pigeon. Literally.
#4 Lutunen = Very adorable. An adjective which can be also used for cute animal babies, like puppies.
#5 Nasu = Piglet, the character, in Winnie the Pooh. (The animal piglet is
#6 Sydänkäpy or sydänkäpynen = Heart pine cone. Literally.
#7 Höppänä = Fool. A very soft word for that.
#8 Possu = Pig. Literally. (The other word for a pig is sika in Finnish, which you use in a totally opposite situation!)
#9 Höpönassu = Silly face. Literally.
#10 Herkkupeppu = Delicacy butt. Literally. (I can’t stop laughing at this straight translation.)
5 Cute Finnish Nicknames Especially For Children
The title in Finnish: Viisi söpöä suomalaista hellittelynimeä erityisesti lapsille
#1 Tättähäärä = Scampering, active child.
#2 Kirppu = Flea. Literally.
#3 Rakkauspakkaus = Love package. Literally.
#4 Nappula = Button. Literally.
#5 Maha-asukki = Tummy inhabitant. Literally. Used only for an unborn baby.
Did you already know one or some of these words? Do you know other Finnish nicknames? Comment below!